grid reference TM 548 929Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Lowestoft Suffolk Hotelhistorical closure era: late 20th century
61 London Rd North
The Suffolk Hotel was demolished 1972 for a new development. It was originally listed as opening in 1873, but landlord entries for Suffolk are now listed from 1839.
It's listed at Southend in 1839.
In 1874 an omnibus was operating from here daily to Yarmouth departing at 9am and returning from the Barge Inn at 5pm.
In 1912 (and earlier) the hotel was listed as a family & commercial hotel (opposite the railway station).
Historically, it's been listed at London Road, Lowestoft.
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1885.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)