grid reference TM 087 552Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/12/2019
Needham Market Queen's Head
also traded as as: White Lion, Shiphistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
opened 15th century
11-15 Hawksmill St
The Queen's Head was established before 1500. It had a fine inglenook fireplace, bread oven and Bessemer beam.
It has now been converted into a group of private residences.
The pub was owned by several generations of people called William Colchester, one of whom had a wife, Agnes, who was licensed as a brewer and ale seller from 1531 until 1567, when it was probably known as the White Lion (heraldic emblem of Duke of Norfolk). In 1588 it was known as Jordans (after Thomas Jordan and family). In 1675 it was sold to Robert Cuthbert. By 1716 it was called the Ship. Sometime later it became the Queens Head. In 1803 John Cobbold bough the inn. For a short while during the Napoleonic war it became the home of the "Brotherly Love Society".
Another Queen's Head traded in the 18th century in the High Street.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.