app

Newmarket Dolphin

Newmarket Dolphin

Closed 1840-1920

Drapery Row

grid reference TL 642 633

The Dolphin is also listed at Market Lane. It stood close to the junction with Wellington Street, opposite the Fountain.

It can be seen on this old OS map from early in the 20th century (interactive map).

old OS map

Map

map
expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

A dolphin is seen as a friendly animal that would help ancient mariners by twining itself round the anchor cable in a storm to prevent the anchor dragging. It also features in many coats of arms including the Fishmongers Company and the Company of Watermen. In France from the 14th cent. the eldest son of the king was known as "le dauphin".

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(1830 Pigots Directory supplied by Sandra Easom)

Precise location found with help from the Newmarket Local History Society

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X