also traded as Boar's Head, Victoria Bars?, Greyhound, Carlton, Maiden Head (or Maid's Head), Jarvis's Hotel
grid reference TL 643 633
According to the Newmarket Shops website, the Greyhound Inn was bought by King Charles II from the Piches family in 1667. It was rebuilt in 1986 as the Hotel Victoria and Renamed the Carlton between 1936 and 1946.
The Greyhound is listed as a Posting Inn in 1844
The pub was demolished in May 1977; the site is now occupied by Boots chemist shop.
The Newmarket Pubs website has an extensive history of this establishment. A rough timeline from that site shows the following sequence of names:
- 1682: Maid's Head
- 1698: Boar's Head
- 1787: Greyhound
- 1897: Victoria Hotel
- 1908: Victoria Bars
- between 1936 and 1948: renamed Carlton Hotel
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.