18 Stowupland St
grid reference TM 049 587
4d could get a pie, a pint and a thick ear at The Bargea local saying in 1900
The Barge was located very close to Ipswich Navigation (river Gipping) which opened in 1793.
The building now houses a Ladies' hairdresser.
(information supplied from Neil Langridge)
It was owned by John Aldrich before 1805. After 1805 it was owned by John Cobbold's brewery.
It's shown (though not named) on this OS town plan of 1885.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)