also traded as Blue Bell
18 Bury Rd
grid reference TM 047 591
The pub is shown on this OS town plan of 1885. (larger map).
The Bell was built by James Woods, owner of Suffolk Iron Works in Bury Street. It had became a pub by 1838, after he was bankrupted.
An 18th century pub of the same name was located somewhere in Bury Street.
The pub was owned by local brewer William Golland Ranson from 1874 to 1896, then sold to Tollemache & Co. It closed in 1919.
The 1879 Kelly's directory lists the Bell in Ipswich Street, but the 1881 census lists the same landlord at the Bell, Bury Road.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.