app

Stowmarket Blue Posts

Stowmarket Blue Posts

closed 30th April 1941

opened 1878

last owner/operator: Greene King

4 Station Rd

grid reference TM 049 587

The Blue Posts was originally a liquor store owned by James Diaper, from about 1839. In 1861 it was sold to Thomas & Jubal Raffe who were journeymen millers and corn merchants. In 1878 the trustees for Thomas Raffe's estate applied for an on-license and then sold the premises to Alexander Clutterbuck (Stowmarket Brewery). In 1882 it was acquired by Edward Greene.

The pub only had a six day license.

The last landlord was an Alexander Davis who was there from about 1939. The license was surrendered in April 1941 and the building was used as a hospital during the World War Two. Later it became a shop selling craft and kitchen items, until about 2002 when it was converted to residential use.…

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

Blue posts were often used as an easy means of building identification before street numbering systems became widespread in usage during the 18th cent.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)

(some old PO information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X