The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TM 049 587Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 18/09/2017
Stowmarket Blue Postshistorical era: mid 20th century
closed April 30th, 1941
last owner Greene King
4 Station Rd
The Blue Posts was originally a liquor store owned by James Diaper, from about 1839. In 1861 it was sold to Thomas & Jubal Raffe who were journeymen millers and corn merchants. In 1878 the trustees for Thomas Raffe's estate applied for an on-license and then sold the premises to Alexander Clutterbuck (Stowmarket Brewery). In 1882 it was acquired by Edward Greene.
The pub only had a six day license.
The last landlord was an Alexander Davis who was there from about 1939. The license was surrendered in April 1941 and the building was used as a hospital during the World War Two. Later it became a shop selling craft and kitchen items, until about 2002 when it was converted to residential use.
There is a very old photo (circa 1863) which shows Station road decorated for the Prince Of Wales marriage that year. From the 1882 it was owned by Greene King [their Stowmarket Store being over the road, in the old Stevens brewery building]. In the 1920s The Ancient Order Of Buffaloes met there on a Thursday Evening.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Blue posts were often used as an easy means of building identification before street numbering systems became widespread in usage during the 18th cent.