The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TM 048 587Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 16/09/2017
Stowmarket Fox & Hounds
also traded as as: Crownhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed 1917 (Feb)
14 Bury St
The Fox & Hounds is also listed at Bury Road.
It was originally called the Crown and the first mention of an inn of that name was back in 1628. The name had changed to the Fox & Hounds by 1768.
The building was demolished for retail development. It was on the site of what used to be the Co-Op in Bury Street and is now occupied by Tall Orders coffee shop and St Elizabeth's Hospice charity shop.
Another pub called the Crown opened in 1855 and can still be visited today.
The earliest known owner is John Wage. It was owned by his family until about 1680. In the 1730s William Bunn is listed as an apothecary and brewer here. The property contained a brewery and slaughter house in the mid-18th century.
Pelham Aldrich purchased it in 1768. Soon afterwards it was owned by John Aldrich and used as a popular staging point for coaches. In 1823 coaches left the inn daily at 8am for London & Ipswich.
John Cobbold's brewery purchased in 1834.
The pub closed in 1917. It's shown on this OS town plan of 1855.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden - this may have been an earlier structure to the current property.