grid reference TM 051 588
opened 1850 circa
(details under review)
Data from the Food Standards Agency live feed.
Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
Local licensing authority for Stowmarket is Mid Suffolk
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 28/10/2019
Stowmarket King's Arms (Two Sisters)
Real Ale is available here
Prentice Rd, IP14 1RQ
This opened soon after an earlier pub of same name closed in Ipswich Street. This pub subsequently closed on May 6th, 1958. This pub then re-opened at the beginning of December 2009 after a 51 year closure.
This pub has three hand-pumps. Beers are mainly from East Anglia, though some may be sourced from other regions.
The first pub beer festival was held in September 2010.
The name by which The Kings Arms came to be unofficially known was "The Two Sisters" derived from Mabel Harriet Southgate and Jessie Hilda Taylor nee Beaumont who ran the place in the first half of 20th century till it closed in 1958.
The pub was listed historically in Stowupland.
(information supplied from Neil Langridge)
The pub was also listed in Stowupland Street in 1891 and earlier and was owned by Cobbolds throughout its early history.
Beer served through handpulls
Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
Real draught cider available
Function room available to hire
Oversized, lined glasses in regular use
Railway station about 0.0 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
WiFi available (a charge may apply)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)