app

Stowmarket White Hart

Stowmarket White Hart

also traded as Black Swan, Swan

closed 1967

opened about 1658

6, 6a Crowe St

grid reference TM 048 585

The building dates from the late 16th century. It's now used as auctioneers' offices.

The name had changed by 1818. An earlier inn of this name was located in Ipswich Street but closed in 1808.

The pub was owned by William Golland Ranson from 1883 to 1894. After 1897 it was owned by Tollemache & Co brewery.

It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map

old OS map

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(**** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X