grid reference TM 049 588Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Stowmarket White Lionhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
opened 1620 circa
This building was very old (built late in the 14th century) when it became an inn. An earlier pub of the same name was located in the market place and traded from the mid 16th century to the early 17th century.
The building was partly demolished in the 1960s when three northern bays were removed, leaving just the single southern bay.
It appears at the location shown, on the 1885 OS map.
It was owned by John Miller - brewer and maltster of Walsham le Willows from 1839-76. Then from 1876 to 1882 Alexander Clutterbuck owned the pub. He then sold it to Edward Greene & Co (which later became Greene King).
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1885.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)