also traded as George & Dragon
Closed about 1909
6 Old Market Place
grid reference TL 874 413
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1884.
The George was also reported as being at the Buttermarket. In 1832 it was advertised to let in the Bury & Norwich Post.
The building was demolished in 1909; presumably it closed shortly before that:
Work has started on the demolition of the "Old George Inn" at Sudbury in preparation for the erection of a large store for Messrs Walker. Six tenders were received, the lowest was by George Grimwood for £1462. The Old George was purchased for £900.Suffolk Free Press*** on January 13th 1909
To be lett, all that Messuage, Tenement and Inn, called or known by the Name of the George, in Sudbury, now in the Occupation of Samuel French. Enquire of Mr Anthony French, Baker, in Sudbury aforesaid.Ipswich Journal, January 31st 1767***
To be lett, the George in Sudbury.Ipswich Journal, March 4th 1769***
To be lett, the George in Sudbury, with the Brewhouse, Outhouses, Stables and Buildings, Yards and Appurtenances thereto belonging, late in the Occupation of Jos…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(**** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)