grid reference TL 874 414Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Sudbury Green Dragon Inn
also traded as as: Dragonhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
93 North St
The Green Dragon was demolished in the 1960s. It's shown at this location on the 1884 OS town plan.
The pub is known to have been open before 1747, when it was advertised for sale in the Ipswich Journal** and was described in January 10th 1747 as:
To be lett, a well accustomed Inn known as the Green Dragon in Sudbury, near to the market place, consisting of 4 rooms on the floor, in occupation of John Edwards-good brew house-stables for 30-40 horses. Enquire of Arthur Brewster of Sudbury.
In 1894, it was reported that the inn was simply known as "the Dragon Inn".
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
The green dragon may be a reference to the Earl of Pembroke and appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448.