grid reference TL 874 412Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 21/01/2020
Sudbury Rose & Crown
also traded as as: Crownhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
opened 16th cent.
22 King St
This former Inn and Posting House was destroyed by a fire on January 1st 1922.
The inn is also reported as being at Market Hill. In the 16th century this inn (then called the Crown) formed three sides around a great courtyard and was frequently used for mayoral banquets.
It was also reported at 38 King Street from at least 1871 until at least 1916.
It was formerly a Commercial Hotel & Posting House and billiard rooms.
The hotel is shown here on an old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of the londonpublichouse.com website)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.