The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TM 295 356Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
Walton is part of the Felixstowe parish
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 11/02/2019
Walton Angelhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed July 13th, 1937
234 High St
There has been some uncertainty about exactly which building was the Angel. Most old OS maps show it as having been the building central to our photograph (perpendicular to the road). And the listed buildings register also claims this building was an old inn. But to add confusion, the 1880s large-scale OS town plan of Walton shows the pub in the building where the Post Office is, with the other building marked as a "public hall". However, a photograph taken late in the 19th century and published in a book about Felixstowe clearly shows the perpendicular building pictured to have been the pub.
Though since maps as far back as 1881 show the building where the Post Office is as having also been a Post Office then, it seems most likely that the town plan was in error.
The building is believed to date from the 16th century. Old maps show that originally it was "L"-shaped, with another wing to the rear running to the left of the section in our photo.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
We'd like to think that the nearby "Angel's" hairdresser is named in honour of the pub. But we can be sure that the business now occupying it, "the Angel Inn Coffee House" certainly is.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Angel's license was issued in 1842. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
The pub closed in 1937, with the license transferred to the Felixstowe Cavendish.
It may sometimes be listed as being in Felixstowe.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.