Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
also traded as Black Boy, New Black Boy
Closed about 1870
opened early 18th century
grid reference TM 119 423
It is understood that the left-hand side of this building (painted darker than the rest) was the Swan pub, while the right-hand side was, and is, a farmhouse.
It appears that the alehouse was rebuilt between 1712 and 1744, when it was rechristened "new". Almost certainly the house was rebuilt by Samuel King, and probably it was he who changed it to an inn, with the name which is still in use 250 years later.
(Information supplied from R G Pipe)
In 1712 Jacob Garrod was the proprietor of the black Boy at Washbrook. An entry in the Court Book of the manor of Amor Hall dated 1820 records that James Turner of Little Wenham, farmer (by JM Syer, his attorney) held a messuage formerly called the Black Boy "and now called the Swan", formerly John Kettle, then Samuel King, wine merchant of Ipswich…
To be lett, the Black Boy in Washbrooke, with a Malting-Office, in good Repair. Enquire of Richard Dave at the Coach-House in Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, March 30th 1751***
Thomas Shearman, late Servant to Doctor Barry of Ipswich, has taken the Swan Inn at Washbrook, commonly call'd the Copdock Swan.Ipswich Journal, October 18th 1755***
THOMAS SKITTER engaged the Golden Lion Inn (notice written by him from The Swan Inn, Washbrook).Ipswich Journal, March 15th 1800**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of he londonpublichouse.com)