Closed 1893 or 4
last owner/operator: Rev. Richard Lacon
grid reference TM 412 811
The Greyhound closed some time between September 1893 and September 1894 (the precise date is unknown, but an approximate date has been found through licensing records). It's now Greyhound Farm (though it's possible that the farm had that name before the pub closed).
It's shown on this old OS map from 1883 (interactive map).
To be sold by auction that old and well accustomed freehold public house, or Inn, known by the sign of the Greyhound, situated and being in Westhall, with tenement or cottage adjoining thereto, together with good stable, an excellent orchard, well planted with fruit trees, yard, garden, and other appurtenances there unto belonging, and now in tenure or occupation of John Ellis and his under tenant.Ipswich Journal, April 1815**
Robert Bird of Westhall, requested a transfer of license from a public-house (not named) which had been burnt to the ground, to the cottage adjoining…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Blything licensing records.
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.