Closed between 1920 and 1970
grid reference TM 051 689
The Crown was built early in the 16th century.
A book entitled "Suffolk Transport" shows a photograph of a sale of wagons and farm equipment outside The Crown (Colchester Brewery Company). To quote the caption written by John Wilton, "Herbert H Spurden was the landlord of the Crown Inn at Westhorpe, north of Stowmarket, for quite a few years from about 1915 onwards".
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
To be sold, ...the Crown in West-Thorpe, Suffolk, with good cellars to the same, together with a barn, stable for 12 horses, brew-house and other convenient outhouses in good repair and about 28 acres of arable and pasture-land thereto belonging, now in the occupation of John Gottling and John Downing, tenants at will.Ipswich Journal, 11 Feb 1775***
To be sold by auction on premises Tues 3rd June next at 11 o clock in forenoon… all that ancient and well known and good accustomed public house called the Crown inn in Westhorpe, together with a brew house, bard, stable, cow house and other outhouses, about 30 acres rich arable, meadow and pasture land. Now in occupation of John Woods, tenant at will, at the annual rent of £36. Ipswich Journal, 17 May 1783
Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the …
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(various items of information from Bob Hawes)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.