also traded as Boot, Ferryboat
closed 30th September 1957
opened about 1530
grid reference TM 274 488
The face of the building alongside the road was actually the back of the pub; the front looked out onto the river.
The Woodbridge licensing records show that the Boat closed in 1957, when the license was surrendered for a payment of £700. It's now a private residence.
The Boat probably dates from the time the Charter for the Ferry was granted, about 1530.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Boat's license was issued in 1843. Presumably this was when it got a full (ie not just beer) license.
A 1939 photograph taken from the station footbridge shows the rear of a pub, named as the Boot, at the side of the road from the quay, just after a level crossing. This seems to match the location of the Boat, but confirmation is required.
The pub is shown on this OS town plan of 1881.
To be sold, the Boat, called the Ferry-House, a good accustom'd House, with the Ferry, and another House adjoining, converted into four Tenements.
NB. All the Premises are Freehold, except for the Ferry, which holds of two Manors, the Quit Rents small, and no lease on the Anchor or Boat…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(extracts from a town pub booklet written by David Hague which also includes extracts from Booth's Almanac of 1899)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)