app

Woodbridge Cock & Pye

Woodbridge Cock & Pye

closed 31st January 1911

78 New St

grid reference TM 271 491

The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Cock & Pye's license was issued in 1853. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.

The license was expired in 1911 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses.

The building dates from the 17th century.

It's shown on this OS town plan of 1881.

old OS map

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

The cock & pie may be a reference to peacock pie - a medieval dish for the wealthy.

NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden - this may have been an earlier structure to the current property.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

Closure date from Woodbridge licensing records.

X