grid reference TM 269 487Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/12/2019
Woodbridge Horse & Groom
also traded as as: Three Horseshoes, Horseshoes, ?Coach & Horses?historical closure era: mid 20th century
closed April 4th, 1927
last owner Cobbold's
68 Cumberland St
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Horse & Groom's license was issued in 1853. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
It closed in 1960, when the license was transferred to a new (un-named) pub in Sproughton (possibly the Beagle?). The building is now residential.
The building dates from the 18th century.
The 1891 census records Henry Sawyer at the Coach & Horses, Cumberland Street, which has been assumed to be an alternative name for this pub, although it could be a previously unknown pub or a mistake in the census.
It's shown (though not named) on this OS town plan of 1881.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Licensing information from Woodbridge licensing records.
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)