grid reference TM 273 490Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 16/09/2017
Woodbridge Royal Oak
also traded as as: Sherlock's Wine Barhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
The Royal Oak closed in the 1930s. The building was later used as a wine bar owned by actor Douglas Wilmer, who was apparently known for having played Sherlock Holmes - hence the later name name.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Royal Oak's license was issued in 1853. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
The pub was built in 1791 by John Sparrow. It was listed as a posting house in 1874.
In 1843 it was the property of Miss Susan Lankester, grandmother of Ray Lankester the eminent zoologist.
It was the property of Mr John Garnham in 1899, and was then famous for its livery stables.
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1881.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Woodbridge licensing records.
(extract from a town pub booklet written by David Hague which also includes extracts from Booth's Almanac of 1899)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)