Closed between 1912 and 1975?
grid reference TL 973 624
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
The pub appears on the 1904 OS map but has gone by the 1975 sheet (intermediate ones are insufficiently detailed). Presumably it closed between 1916 (the last directory entry found so far) and 1975. The building dates from about 1600, though it's much rebuilt since. The Listed Buildings Register describes it as
A rare example of a rural galleried inn of this period.
Five borders are listed in 1891 and the Crown is listed as a commercial hotel in 1900 & 1912.
Woolpit horse fair – will be held on Tues 16, Wed 17 and Thur 18th inst. The peddling fair and fair for scotch beasts on Fri 19th and Sat 20th … A petty sessions also being held… Proper accommodation will be provided at the inns… Simon Hazellwood at the Ship, William Sparke at the Swan and Ambrose Taylor at the Crown.Ipswich Journal, 13 Sep 1783
Woolpit horse fair… Thur 16, Fri 17, and Sat 18th inst.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.