app

Stradishall Black Horse

Stradishall Black Horse

Closed shortly after WW1

opened 1850s

Farley Green

grid reference TL 734 532

The Black Horse was also colloquially known as "The Bluster" (not the Blister as stated in the book 'Ten Miles From Anywhere' which is in fact a typing error). The nickname was a reference to the strong winds that whipped over the fields and in fact still do as you can see by the positions of the trees in the garden.

Today the house is called The Old Bakery as it was bought by a baker in the 1930's and was run as a Bakehouse until 1965.

(information from Linda Lambert)

Some listings record the pub as being in Wickhambrook; the boundary between the two parishes runs quite close to the north of the building.

The house itself was built about 1750 and was a Blacksmith's for about a century. (Hence the name the Black Horse)…

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

There was another Black Horse on Hargrave Rd.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(information from Linda Lambert)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X