Closed about 1938
131 Woodhouse St
grid reference TM 171 444
The Grapes stood roughly where part of the current Suffolk College now stands. Woodhouse Street evolved in the 1830s as part of the development of the "Potteries" - an impoverished area of town, packed with low quality housing that was mostly cleared in the 1930s.
According to police records, the license was surrendered by Cobbold's in 1938 in exchange for one for the Thomas Eldred. This may have been a different Thomas Eldred to the modern one in north-west Ipswich, as that one dates from the 1950s.
The property is not listed in 1939 Kelly's Directory.
The pub has also been reported at Regent Street, New Victoria Street (in 1871) and Rope Walk.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)