closed 3rd May 1964
last owner/operator: Tolly Cobbold
2-4 Kemp St
grid reference TM 166 435
Kemp Street used to run south from Purplett Street to Bath Street, a short way east from Hawes Street.
Comparing the photograph with old maps suggests the pub stood on the west side of Kemp Street.
William Stannard, a young man, had complained of the quality of the beer he was served in the Wheatsheaf Inn, Kemp Street, by the landlord Arthur Spooner. Spooner threw the beer into the street and returned the twopence and an argument ensued. Stannard was charged with being disorderly and refusing to quit but there was considerable contradictions in the evidence resulting in the case being dismissed. Ipswich Journal, July 1895**
In 1937 the pub was listed in Kelly's Directory as one of 220 pubs that were retailing beer that they were brewing.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)