grid reference TM 344 894Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Bungay Duke's Bridge
also traded as as: Bridge Innhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed between 1925 and the early 1930s
This inn is also listed at Duke's Bridge. The building is shown as Dukesbridge House (not marked as a pub or beerhouse) right back as far as available OS maps go (1885)), which does look somewhat pub-like.
The 1909 town Rates book has an entry in Beccles Road for "Late the Duke", which seems as if it refers to this. The entry implies that the pub closed some time between 1909 and about 1930, as the book was in use for roughly that period. Since we have directory entries up to 1925, that would seem to narrow the closure date down.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)