formerly New Bell
As of 28 July 2021 this Pub is now open all week and only closes on Sunday evening. The temporary undercover seated area outside is still being used as well as the indoor restaurant which is now open.
Offers a simply furnished but comfortable public bar and a larger & characterful restaurant/lounge. Exposed oak beams throughout and a large fireplace with wood-burner in each bar. Scrubbed wooden floors in bar areas, tiled floor in restaurant. Popular for food.
The current building was originally four cottages dating from about 1625. They were converted in 1968 to create this attractive pub.
Dogs are welcome in the pub but not in the restaurant area.
The original Bell (shown here on an old OS map from about the end of the 19th century) was opposite the church. larger map
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome: Dogs are welcome but not in the restaurant area
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
Nearest railway station
The original Bell is shown on this old OS map from 1883 (interactive map).
An inquest held by Mr Wood, June. In October 1835, at Cretingham, on the body of Ann Nunn, (wife of John Nunn), who while dancing at the Bell Inn, on Saturday night, with some friends at a largess spending, suddenly dropped down on the floor, and immediately expired…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.