grid reference TM 147 739Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.last updated 07/01/2017
Eye Duke of Wellingtonhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed October 10th, 1908
last owner Adnam's
The Duke of Wellington was licensed as a beerhouse in "Brewery Street", but not named in the Eye town licensing records. It's been matched with the Duke of Wellington by cross-referencing licensees in the license record with those listed in various directories. Though where Brewery Street comes in is not known, since no such street appears on maps of the period (but Wellington Street is close to the old Charles Fisher brewery site).
Wellington Street was formerly known as Back Lane (in 1861-74).
The beerhouse was closed down in 1908 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of "excess" alcohol licenses.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
Closure date from Eye town licensing records.
In 1830 the Duke of Wellington was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.