grid reference TM 226 503Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 18/09/2017
also traded as as: Tunns Inn?historical closure era: mid 20th century
closed April 5th, 1928
last owner Tollemache
The Sun is shown as a beerhouse on the 1881 OS map but not on the 1927 edition, so presumably closed some time in between. We know it was still open at least as late as 1922.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Sun's beerhouse license was issued in 1842.
It may also be listed in Meeting Lane.
The 1909 rates book seems to list this pub as the "Tunns Inn". It appears from the book to have closed at about the right time for this pub and also lists Alfred Smith as landlord. Perhaps this was an alternative name for the pub?
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.