In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
Some of them may well still be offering a takeaway beer service and some others will also be selling food takeaways, perhaps even with delivery. If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
formerly Queen's Head
Real Ale is sold here.
B1116, IP13 8AB
grid reference TM 281 670
Large timber framed building set back from road & close to church. Spacious dining areas & a small retained drinking area.
According to the Listed Buildings Register, parts of the building date from the early 16th century, others from the early 17th. However, according to A Survey of Suffolk Parish Histories, records of the pub date as far back as 1483.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals: incl childrens menu
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks): incl childrens menu
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Special events: see website for details.
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available
Nearest railway station
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal*** on April 19th 1735 to a Maine of Cocks at Mr Henry Folkard's at the Queen's Head, Dennington.
Cocking at Daniel Bird's, the Queen's Head, Dennington.Ipswich Journal, March 2nd 1751***
Cocking at Daniel Bird's, the Queen's Head, Dennington.Ipswich Journal, March 28th 1752***
Cocking for six Silver Spoons at Daniel Bird's, the Queen's Head, Dennington.Ipswich Journal, February 24th 1753***
In 1912 the inn was offering accommodation for tourists & cyclists.
In the August/September 1981 edition of Last Orders**** it was reported that the Queens Head was a Free House with Ruddles, Batemans and many other beers on offer.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)