Closed between 1960 and 1976?
grid reference TM 135 618
The former Dragon is one of two homes now called Dragon Cottages. The beerhouse was in the left-hand side of the building; the right-hand side was used as a village shop for a short while. The pargetting of a griffin is a more modern addition to the premises (ironically on the "wrong" side).
Many thanks to one former resident, Maggy, who helped to clarify the layout.
The closure date is unknown, but was certainly after 1960. It seems likely to have been before 1976, as the pub is not shown on that year's OS map.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
The dragon may be a reference to the Earls of Pembroke and a green dragon appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.