Closed between 1840 and 1920
grid reference TL 974 342
Town Street is an old name for the High Street. The pub is reportedly now called Vine House and is next to the Post Office, so this is the building in our photograph.
The Vine is also reported in Court Street (1851, 1861 & 1871 censuses).
This is to give notice that the Vine Tavern at Nayland is now opened. Landlord Henry Brumwen.Ipswich Journal, September 21st 1745***
Henry Brunwin is removed from the Vine to the Crown in Nayland, a well situated and commodious Inn. To be lett as a Private House, the Vine in Nayland aforesaid, being a neat and commodious Mansion House, fit for a middling Family, with Stables and other convenient Outhouses and a good Garden thereto belonging.Ipswich Journal, July 21st 1750***
Wm. Kenningale advertised his new Post-Chariot from his House, the Vine Inn, in Nayland.Ipswich Journal, July 21st 1764***
Stowmarket Mercury coach – to London through Finborough, Bildeston, Hadleigh Stoke, Nayland, Kelvedon, Witham, Hatfield and Chelmsford…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)