app

Needham Market Crown

Needham Market Crown

closed 1749

opened about 1547

36 High St

grid reference TM 089 549 (approximate location)

The inn was located adjacent to Christchurch (on the Ipswich side). In 1607 it had 3 rooms, a brew house, 3 rooms to the rear (the backhouse), a stable, a 2 bay hay-house, a garden and private lane (leading to a house). Sometime soon after Thomas and Mary Love inherited the property in 1679 the house was destroyed by fire and then substantially rebuilt.

Most of the property was destroyed by a German bomb which was dropped on the town in 1942. The site is now used as a car-park.

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)

Map

map
expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)

X