app

Needham Market Red Lion

Needham Market Red Lion

also traded as Lion

closed 1779

opened 1540

22-24 High St

grid reference TM 089 548

The Red Lion is first mentioned in 1540. In 1737 William Turner owned the inn whilst Simon Mayes took over the maltings. In 1758 the malt office and kiln at 20 High St was "belonging to, but separate from" the inn. Later in 1779, Hannah Turner sold the inn to John Marriott (grocer & draper) and sometime soon afterwards the inn closed, but the maltings and the brewery continued.

This tavern was only ever part of a large grouping of malting and residential buildings. In 1727 a William Carter pub inventory reveals the business comprised a kitchen, parlour, cellar, brew-house, 3 bed chambers, a stable and barn.

In 1860 the adjacent malt factory (20 High St) was rebuilt by George Stewart who sold it in 1867…

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)

X