grid reference TL 644 634
According to Alfred Hedges' book "Inns and Inn Signs of Norfolk and Suffolk, the Ram stood where the Rutland Arms is now situated. The Ram itself apparently replaced an even earlier inn whose name is unknown.
The Newmarket Pubs website tells us:
There was an Inn here earlier but the name has never been found. The Inn was renamed after the Earl of Offord (an eccentric who had his coach drawn by stags) was chased by a pack of hounds and sought refuge in the yard of the Inn. The word "ram" being associated with a strong scent, the Inn was re-named The Ram.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, March 22nd 1735***, to a Maine of Cocks at John Francis's, the Ram in Newmarket.
An announcement was made of the death on Saturday the 22nd, of Mr Daniel Potter, of the Ram Inn, Newmarket.Ipswich Journal, March 1800**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)