South West, 52.33437,1.67285
Closed: about 1869
grid reference TM 503 770
The former Bear is now residential and called Bridge House.
The Bear Inn disappeared over one hundred years ago (1869).Inns of the Suffolk Coast, Leonard P Thompson, 1969
One night a boat called the Dart was being worked by two Pakefield brothers, and ran a cargo into Southwold Harbour. The Dart entered Buss Creek, and was on her way to 'Mights Bridge' under muffled oars, where her contraband was landed, and taken to the house standing at Bridge foot, then a public-house called 'The Bear'.A Selection of Ghost Stories Smuggling Stories and Poems connected with Southwold by A. BARRETT JENKINS
On Reydon Corner stood The Bear Inn, (now Bridge house) built probably around the middle of the 18th century. In 1825 an exceptionally high tide flooded the ground floor right up to the door and a boat had to be used to carry the customers on their way. On at least one occasion, and probably there were many, the Bear was used to store smuggled goods bought up the Blyth.Reydon village website
The quoted closure date seems to be corroborated by licensing records, which though going back as far as 1874, don't mention the Bear.
To be sold by auction, by Mr Cana, at the New Swan Inn, Southwold, Lot 7., the Bear at Reydon which is copyhold, a substantially brick built public house, in excellent repair, with a malt house and coal house adjoining,possessing every convenience for carrying on extensive trade, and is subject to trifling outgoings. The tenant has notice to quit at Michaelmas.Ipswich Journal** in Jul 1820
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)