grid reference TM 046 589Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Stowmarket Bakers' Armshistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
The Bakers' Arms is also listed at 43 Violet Hill (in the 1909 Rates Book).
It was also a bakery and lodging house. In the 1871 census 20 lodgers are shown as living here.
Renewal of the license was refused in 1913 as part of a move to reduce the number of "excess" alcohol licenses. An oil lamp fire in May 1914 resulted in the death of the housekeeper Caroline Douglas.
The owner from 1836 to 1858 was John George Hart (also a bank manager and churchwarden). Upon his death in 1861 various financial speculations came to light prompting the Charity Commissioners to review the running all of the town charities.
From 1867 to 1886 the pub was owned by Charles Wood of Bacton Brewery.
The house was demolished in 1986.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published in 2009)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)