grid reference TM 038 601Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 31/07/2017
Stowmarket White Elmhistorical closure era: ancient
closed between 1837 and 1885
The White Elm was a pub that mainly operated in the 17th and 18th centuries. It was advertised by John Roper in 1797 for sale in Bury & Norwich Post.
The pub was located between Spikes Farm and Tollgate.
It's shown at this location on the 1837 OS map; it must have been flattened to build the A14. On the 1885 OS map, it's just shown as "The Elms", so must have closed between those dates.
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
Landlord entries from censuses probably refer to residents after the pub was closed.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)