app

Stowmarket Phoenix (Hole in the Wall)

Stowmarket Phoenix (Hole in the Wall)

closed 1921

opened about 1869

25 Station Rd

grid reference TM 049 587

Listed at number 25 in the 1909 Rates book, this pub has also been reported at number 27.

An earlier beerhouse on this site, owned by Robert Worledge was destroyed by fire in June 1885 together with several other local properties. It was subsequently rebuilt by Oliver John Parker and soon after occupied by James Lillistone. It was called the Phoenix from about 1890. The pub was also known as the "hole in the wall" due to its small size.

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)

X