grid reference TM 050 585Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 21/01/2020
Stowmarket Prince of Wales
also traded as as: Falconhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
The Prince of Wales was originally called the Falcon and first owned by the Falcon Brewery , of Ipswich [Cuthbert, Bridges & Co]. It was never a very successful beerhouse, with over 25 licensees in just 50 years.
After 1873 it was owned by William Golland Ranson (a Stowmarket brewer). Finally in 1896 it was sold to Tollemache Brewery.
Its close position to the Royal Oak probably helped to guarantee its closure in 1906 in a move to reduce the number of beerhouses at that time.
The building is now a kebab take away.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
May have become the Prince Of Wales sometime after March 1863 to commemorate Edward, Prince Of Wales (eventually Edward VII) being married to Alexandra of Denmark.