Eye Queen's Head
Eye Queen's Head
Due to the latest government regulations, pubs currently have to close by 10pm. Opening hours displayed on this page may not take account of this change.
The pub has now reopened.
Real Ale is sold here.
7 Cross St, IP23 7AB
grid reference TM 144 738
Dating from 1590 and now the only pub in this delightful North Suffolk town with many buildings of character and historical significance. Beers are dispensed direct from the cask in the main bar (with water-cooling jackets). Main bar has wood burning stove, Cross Street bar is in fact a former butchers shop, and there is also a snug bar. Traditional pub food and daily specials served. Family friendly. Breakfasts served 8.30-10.30am. Regular events held. Community events board. Mid Anglia CAMRA Cider Pub of the Year 2018.
The building dates from 1589, with 18th and 19th century extensions, and has always been a pub.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served direct from the barrel by gravity
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Cask Marque accredited
- Cider (real draught, not keg) available: 2 x Old Rosie
- Dogs welcome: On leads
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Live music: Once a month
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Real fire
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available: Free
Railway station about 4.2 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown (though unnamed) on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
Also listed in Lambseth St (1844 + 1855 + 1874)
Bankruptcy Order against James Caston at a Tenement called the Queen's Head Inn, well situated for Trade in the Town of Eye, and newly repaired.Ipswich Journal, 7th to 14th August 1725***
To be let, The Queen's Head Inn, Eye - Apply to Mr B.C. ETHERIDGE, Brewer, Eye.Ipswich Journal, September 15th 1866***
In late December 2010, Tessa Prior purchased the pub from Enterprise Inns. She has renovated and improved the building prior to it reopening in April 2011.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)