Closed between 1971 and 1974
grid reference TL 995 606
This beerhouse appears on OS maps at least as late as 1971, but by the 1974 sheet it's shown as "Ship House", so evidently closed between those dates.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
Cocking at Robert Talbot's, at the Ship, at Woolpit.Ipswich Journal, January 17th 1756***
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, August 6th 1757***, to Robert Talbott and a Shew of Lambs at the Ship, Woolpit. A Main of Cocks was advertised here the following year by Robert Talbott on January 14th 1758.
Simon Boldero, from the Swan Inn, has now taken the Ship Inn in Woolpit.Ipswich Journal, 29 Oct 1774***
Mary Talbott, late of the Ship Inn, Woolpit, was administering the Estate of her late husband, Robert Talbott.Ipswich Journal, 3rd Dec 1774***
Lost out of the lands belonging to the Ship at Woolpit, or on the road from Bury to Woolpit, on or before the 2 Dec, a black horned steer, coming two years old, marked on the left snack with a notch…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.