grid reference TL 968 628Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Woolpit White Elm
also traded as as: Railway Tavernhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed between 1904 and 1974?
The White Elm is shown on OS maps as a beerhouse at least as late as 1904. By the 1974 sheet, it's just shown as "The White Elm" - whether or not it was still a beerhouse by that date isn't entirely clear, but it seems likely it wasn't.
It's also reported in Tavern Row (1861), Norton Road (1871/1881) and Broom Hill (1891).
A Railway Tavern is listed in 1851 between Tavern Street and Broom Hill. This is assumed to be an earlier name for the White Elm.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.