Eye Horse Shoes
Eye Horse Shoes
also traded as Three Horseshoes
Closed 1991 or 1992
18 Castle St
grid reference TM 145 737
Now residential, the building dates from the early 18th century with the façade dating from the late 19th.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Aug-10 in 1869 when Harry Gill was the landlord states that :
Frederick Adams a letter carrier admitted setting fire to a straw stack when he discarded the match he used to light a cigar. On his way from the Lion he passed the stack then stopped to talk to Harry Gill son of the Horse Shoes landlord, minutes later the stack was seen ablaze. Adams was described as a good man, excepting habits of intoxication…
Eye lamb Show: Gentlemen graziers and dealers in general are respectively informed there will be a show of sheep and lambs, neat stock, etc., held in a convenient piece of land, called Chimney Close, Eye. Hurdles will be delivered gratis the previous day. It is expected at this show, flock masters will be able to make a selection of Down Shearling Ewes of the purest blood. Note! A good Ordinary will be provided at 2pm, by your humble servants, George Hammond, at the White Lion, Randal Ward at the Horse Shoes, W M Jarrow at the Bottles. Ipswich Journal, June 1825**
The annual market tea took place at the Horse Shoes Inn, on the 14th March 1870…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.