Eyke Elephant & Castle
Eyke Elephant & Castle
Currently closed - may reopen?
The St, IP12 2QG
grid reference TM 317 518
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
The Elephant and Castle was originally a private house (built about 1650) which was converted into a pub in 1715.
The pub still retains two separate bar areas and is popular with locals. Both bars have a wood-burner fitted and have exposed beams. The pub has wooden floors, and local photographs adorn the walls. There are three beers on hand pump and proper pub food. The pub holds occasional quiz nights. There's no food lunchtimes except Sunday. There are themed food evenings and a meat raffle every Friday. Sky sport TV can be watched in the main bar.
The pub closed in September 2017 following the sad deaths of both of the couple running it within a couple of weeks…
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Real fire
- Sport TV
- Traditional pub games available: darts
Railway station about 2.5 miles away (see transport links for details)
To be sold, a Publick House at Eyke, known by the Sign of the Castle...worth about £4 per annum.Ipswich Journal, December 13th 1729***
To be sold by private contract, that old and well established public house called the Elephant & Castle at Eyke, in the occupation of Simon Blaxhall, together with 18 acres rich arable meadow and pasture landâ€¦. Premises consist of a kitchen, backhouse, bar-room parlour, four chambers, three garrets, stable, barn etcIpswich Journal, 19 Apr 1783
Landlord Mr S BLAXALL, gave notice of his daughter marrying Frederick Fletcher, a miller.Suffolk Chronicle, January 2nd 1813***
In September 2012 it was bought by a London couple, Ian & Sandra, who relocated here & have renovated the pub.
An elephant & castle has appeared in the crest of the Cutlers Company since 1622. Ivory was then used to create knife handles. Some claim that the name derives from "Infanta of Castile" a reference to Eleanor of Castile, wife of Edward I.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.