app

Polstead Bakers' Arms

Polstead Bakers' Arms

also traded as Brewers' Arms?

Closed after 1958

Spring Ln, Whitestreet Green

grid reference TL 974 394

The building dates from the 17th or 18th century. It's shown as a beerhouse on OS maps at least as late as 1958, but subsequent sheets are insufficiently detailed to draw any conclusions as to its closure date.

The 1901 census lists only one pub, called the Brewer's Arms, in White Street Green, which has been assumed to be this pub. It may refer to the Brewers' Arms at nearby Bower House Tye, though the name in the entry doesn't tie in with that pub's historical records. Further information is required to clear this up.

The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map

old OS map

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X