The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 08/01/2017
Brandon Railway Hotel
also traded as as: Great Eastern Railway hotel, Railway Tavernhistorical era: date unknown
The Great Eastern Railway was a hotel & posting house. In 1883, John Hardy was also a hearse & mourning coach proprietor and a farmer.
It's also listed at "the bridge" in 1855.
It seems likely that the Railway Tavern listed in the 1869 Post Office Directory as being in Bridge Street is actually the same as the Railway Hotel. There seems to be an overlap in landlords between here and the Great Eastern, so it's possible these were other names for that establishment.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(Slater's Royal National and Commercial Directory 1850 from Ken Griffin)
The GER formed in 1862 by amalgamation of the Eastern Counties Railway with smaller railways: the Norfolk Railway, the Eastern Union Railway, the Newmarket and Chesterford Railway, the East Norfolk Railway, the Harwich Railway, the East Anglian Railway and the East Suffolk Railway among others.