Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Yoxford Fife & Drum
Yoxford Fife & Drum
Strickland Manor Hill
grid reference TM 381 691
Having studied licensing records from 1874 through to 1967 and found no sign of it, we conclude this pub must have closed before 1874. It's thought to have been a very short-lived beerhouse. It seems to have been demolished.
"The road came to a stop here, (footpaths may have carried the route on to Sibton etc). My father lived in a row of cottages here sometime in the 1910's that was originally the pub, and there is now a house located here that was built on the site sometime in the 60's. It is (or it used to be) called Drum House. A second building could have been put up since. Strickland Manor Hill was too posh a name for the locals - it was always known as Hog Hill - and probably still is!"…
The 1871 census lists a dwelling with William Moore as an Ag lab (together with his family).
The 1881 census lists two entries called Fife & Drum (see above) but nobody as the beer house keeper.
The 1891 census lists three Fife & Drum Cottages, including David Lugs, George Barham and John Sterry, all Ag labs with their families. It also lists the Fife & Drum as uninhabited property adjacent to cottages. (Note this could mean it was uninhabited on the night of the census, and not necessarily closed.)
In all three census returns it is called Hog Hill Road.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.